Your Marion County Board of Developmental Disabilities is a governmental organization that is funded through Federal, state, and local tax dollars and is a 501(c)6 non-profit organization that provides advocacy and resources to allow those we serve to live, learn, and earn in Marion County.
In 1967, 88 County Boards of Developmental Disabilities were established by the Ohio state legislature to provide supports and services to individuals with intellectual and other developmental disabilities. This change in philosophy and public policy provided alternatives to state-run institutions and afforded individuals the opportunity to live, work, and participate in their local community.
Today, more than 800 children and adults receive comprehensive services arranged by MCBDD. Based on available resources, your community support helps fund arrangements for service and support administration, early childhood services, educational services, supported living, residential services, family support services, job training, employment services, and many others.
What is a Waiver?
MCBDD has close to 200 people using waiver services, but what is a waiver?
Waivers were created to allow those with disabilities the opportunity to “Waive” their right to institutional living and choose a less restrictive opportunity within their communities.
Waivers are funded partially by Federal (Medicaid) dollars (60 percent) and the other 40 percent is a mix of state and local dollars.
There are several types of waivers, and the amounts are based on the need of each person. In 2017, 9.5 million dollars in waiver services were awarded in Marion County. MCBDD was responsible for covering 3.8 million dollars of that total with the use of mostly local dollars.